Develop your expertise
You are building the future of our industry – let us help build your future too.
We constantly encourage our people to develop their careers and learn as much as they can, through on-the-job learning, formal qualifications and employee networks.
Develop your expertise with our tailored programmes and training initiatives, including:
Learning and development
We believe in creating simple, clear steps for career development. You can access a full suite of training courses and get the support you need to progress in your career.
We bring together all of our training options under a single umbrella, offering you a wide range of skills and professional qualifications. These qualifications are transferable across the business and the industry.
To make sure our employees receive the structured development they need, we have agreed to:
- A formal framework and regular reviews to promote development of our outstanding talent
- A clear commitment to promote internally, where possible, to accelerate career progression within the company
- A clear commitment to invest in the development and progression of our people
Job families and competency assessments
When you join Balfour Beatty, it’s likely you’ll become part of a particular job family depending on your role.
We are developing frameworks to support and develop employees across all areas of our business. These include:
- Project management
- Design and engineering
- Win business
These frameworks use standard and internationally recognised benchmarks. We have brought together experts in a range of fields to provide the right training and development for those looking to progress in these areas.
Through the Balfour Beatty Academy, we give our people the tools they need to refresh, build and develop their professional skills. You will be given the right foundations on which to build a successful career.
This includes our ‘Brilliant Basics’ toolkit, which is available to all employees. This is a series of ‘how to guides’ and dedicated training modules providing essential business and management skills.
At Balfour Beatty, you will develop the foundations you need for a rewarding career.
We’re committed to internally appointing our leaders. This means that a wide range of people who joined us on leaving school or on an apprenticeship programme now hold senior leadership positions with us.
To make sure you have the support you need to reach the next level, we’ve put a range of processes in place. They include:
- A commitment to ensure the wide range of leaders who have progressed their careers internally in Balfour Beatty reach our most senior positions.
- A formal Leadership Framework that sets out the skills and experience we require of current and future leaders, combined with comprehensive succession planning to ensure we continue to develop our future leaders in the business.
- Effective and ongoing monitoring of our succession planning to ensure it reflects our broader commitments to fulfil the potential of all our people, and promote diversity and inclusion.