We are working together to make Balfour Beatty a truly diverse organisation. With 30,000 employees and a wide network of partners and suppliers, we believe that diversity and inclusion are the foundations of our business.
For us, diversity and inclusion is all about:
- creating an environment where all employees can be themselves at work and perform at their best every day.
- developing a reputation in our sectors for our progressive approach to diversity, so we are able to attract and retain the best talent and secure competitive advantage in the market.
- responding to growing diversity in the business environment in order to take advantage of the range of talent available.
- recognising and valuing differences so we become a stronger, more dynamic and more innovative organisation.
- integrating our collective skills to provide our people and clients with a distinctive experience.
- enabling us to enter new markets and build successful businesses in new countries.
Diversity and our stakeholders
We offer a broad range of experiences, skills and potential to add real value to our stakeholders.
Our employees and potential recruits want to work for a company that shares their values of inclusion and respect. At Balfour Beatty, we understand the importance of attracting and retaining the best people in the industry - creating an environment where everyone can fulfil their potential.
Customers benefit from the diverse range of talent in our teams and our capacity to produce innovative, integrated and sustainable solutions to infrastructure challenges. Our teams’ collective portfolio of skills and experiences enables us to build successful businesses in new markets and offer services to customers across a wide range of geographical, cultural and sector boundaries.
Our commitment to a truly inclusive working culture has been recognised by a number of awards, including the Best Overall Company Contribution to Diversity on the London 2012 Olympics site. Our dedication to an inclusive environment ensures that we will continue to achieve strong business growth and maintain our reputation as one of the leading providers of infrastructure services.
In 2014, we became one of the first major construction companies to join Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.
Our three-year plan
At Balfour Beatty we are always looking to improve our approach to diversity.
Our three-year action plan, begun in 2014, aimed to achieve the Balfour Beatty diversity vision: a truly inclusive and collaborative working community. From our grass roots employee networks to senior leadership levels, Balfour Beatty always strives to harness talents from the broadest possible pool.
Diversity and inclusion are now key components of all our talent management activities and leadership development programmes. Internal awareness campaigns will ensure that our people are engaging with the company’s core values.
We will continue to monitor and revise our performance management and recruitment processes. Our aim is to support the progression of under-represented groups to leadership positions and ensure alignment with our diversity vision.
Our diversity strategy and rigorous monitoring systems will further strengthen Balfour Beatty’s reputation as an organisation that brings out the best in its people, and will ensure that we achieve our business goals.